Pot Limit Omaha
Poker India | August 22nd, 2016 | Poker variations
The Omaha Hold ’em Poker is a Poker variant similar to the Texas Hold ’em poker. The Omaha Hold ’em used to be the prominent Poker variant before the Texas Hold ’em Poker. In the Omaha Hold ’em Poker variant, every player is deal with four cards each and the objective of the game is to make the best hand with exactly two of the four cards and should use exactly three of the community cards. There are many sub variants of the Omaha Hold ’em Poker including the ‘Pot Limit Omaha Poker’, ‘No Limit Omaha Poker’ and ‘Fixed Limit Omaha Poker’. The rules of all the variants of the Omaha are almost similar; the major difference is the limit in the betting allowed in each round. Below are some of the rules and game play of ‘Pot limit Omaha Poker’.
Pot Limit Omaha Poker Details
Pot Limit Omaha poker is the most popular variant of the Omaha Hold ’em poker. In pot limit Omaha poker, the minimum bet allowed is the size of the big blind. The maximum bet allowed is the size of the pot.
After the players are dealt with four cards each, the betting starts. The game is played in clockwise direction starting from person sitting besides the big blind. Similar to the Texas Hold ’em poker, five community cards are revealed to make the best poker hand. Below are the different stages of the game where the community cards are revealed:
- Pre-Flop: After analysing the hole cards the players are dealt with, they are allowed to play their hand by calling or raising the big blind. The players sitting next to the big blind has the option to fold, call or raise. For example if the big blind is Rs 10, the player has the option to either call by Rs 10 or raise it to Rs 20. This round of betting continues until all of the players have placed equal bet on the pot.
- The Flop: After the Pre-Flop is complete, that is all the players have placed their bet and equalled the bet, the flop is revealed. The flop is the first 3 community cards that are revealed to the players in the table. The betting again starts in the clockwise direction starting from the player from the button. If the players have finds some valuable cards in the flop, they can play their hand by raising or calling (depending on their poker strategy). Similarly the round continues until all the players have placed equal bet in the pot.
- The Turn: After the betting has finished and equalled in the flop, the turn is revealed to the active players on the table. Turn is the fourth card revealed of the five community cards. The game starts in the clockwise direction starting from the player sitting left to the button. This round also continues until the bet is equal in the pot.
- The River: When the Turn betting is completed, the final card of the community card is revealed. The fifth community card is known as the river. The river also starts from the player sitting immediately clockwise to the button. The river also continues until the bet is matched.
- The Showdown: The players can fold their cards whenever they want. If everyone except one fold the game, then that player who has not folded wins the game. If there are more than one player remaining after the river is completed, the player immediately clockwise to the button should reveal his cards and the rest of the players in the order.
The winner of the game is the players who are able to get the best hand out of the 5 cards. The Omaha Hold ’em Poker requires that exactly 2 cards from the hand of 4 cards for the best hand. Similarly they should use exactly 3 cards from the community cards. If the hands are identical, then the pot will be divided equally among the players.
After the game completes and the pot is rewarded the winning player(s), the button is moved to the next player in the clockwise direction.
So the next time you are about to play the Poker, try the Omaha Hold ’em Poker. This is an interesting variant of the Poker that is available online. You can try your skill in the Omaha Hold ’em poker as well.